St. Mary's Elementary School Uniform Policy
All uniforms are to be neat, clean and properly fitting. Shirts are to be tucked in at all times.
Skirt/skort/shorts length must fall no more than 2"
above your knee. If you are in violation
you will be required to change into an appropriate uniform.
No makeup or nail polish is to be worn at all during
the school year.
- Girls in grades 6-8 may carry a small wristlet purse for personal items as needed.
Girls Grades K-5
Uniform plaid knee-length jumper, navy blue or khaki
skirt/skort/pants. Navy blue or khaki knee length shorts may be worn in
September, October, May and June. No cargo shorts/pants are allowed.
- Red, white or blue polo shirt or turtleneck with strongly suggested
school logo on shirt. Girls may also wear white collared blouse.
Girls Grades 6-8
Uniform plaid skort, navy blue or khaki skirt/skort/pants. Navy blue or khaki knee length shorts may be worn in September, October, May and June. No cargo shorts/pants are allowed.
Red, white or blue polo shirt or turtleneck with strongly suggested school logo on shirt.
Navy blue or khaki pants, straight cut. No cargo pants.
- Navy blue or khaki knee length shorts may be worn in September, October, May and June. No cargo shorts.
- Red, white or blue polo shirt or turtleneck with strongly suggested school logo on shirt.
- White long or short-sleeved dress shirt WITH a plain navy blue tie. No bowties.
- Black or Brown belt.
All Students in K-3 & 4-8 Gym
On scheduled gym days, students in K-3 will wear their gym uniforms as their school uniform. Grades 4-8 will change into their Gym Uniform for gym class. Please have
your student bring their gym uniform to school in a gym bag.
K-8 Gym Uniform
Uniform T-shirt and shorts, white socks and sneakers. Uniform sweatshirt and sweatpants may be worn OVER the t-shirt and shorts if desired.
Cold Weather Items
The only acceptable cool weather tops to be worn during school hours are
the SME spirit hoodie, which is available for purchase through the Home
School Association, the SME gym uniform sweatshirt, a solid navy
cardigan sweater or a navy blue fleece from a school approved vendor.
Navy blue fleece must have school logo on it.
Dress-Up Days: Students wear their good clothes to school. All
skirts, skorts and dresses are to be knee-length. Strapless/spaghetti
strap dresses/tops are not allowed. Dress shoes with less than a 1" heel
are allowed. No strappy shoes, UGGS, moccasins, flip flops or slippers
will be worn during the school day. No jeans, sweatpants or wind pants
Dress-Down Days: Students
may wear casual clothes which are modest, tasteful and appropriate to
school. Jeans may be worn provided they
are free of holes, tears, frays, etc.
Shorts and skirts must be no shorter than our uniform requirements (no
daisy dukes). Girls may wear leggings as
long as the shirt/sweater is longer in length and provides proper
coverage. Wind pants may be worn; however,
NO words are permitted to be displayed across the students rear-end. NO fleece or flannel pajama bottoms or
non-uniform sweatpants are permitted. No
strappy shoes, moccasins, flip flops, slippers or Combat boots will be worn
during the school day. The students may wear Uggs, dress boots and laced up
All hairstyles should be neat with bangs above the eyebrows. Boys hair should be above (not touching) the shirt collar.
- No extreme hairstyles: extensions of any type, bleached, dyed or
streaked colors; mohawks, faux hawks, stripes or designs will be shaved
- No hats will be worn in the building.
- No scarves or decorative hair attire other than plaid uniform
headbands, plain red, white or blue headbands or barrettes of the same
Socks and Shoes
- Shoes - Neutral footwear will be worn. Options include black, grey,
navy, brown or white dress shoes with a non-skid sole or sneakers of the
same color. NO FLUORESCENT COLORED SHOES or SHOELACES ARE ALLOWED.
Colors are permitted on the logos only i.e.: Nike swish or Adidas, etc.
This includes sneakers for gym class.
- Flats - are acceptable footwear as long as they have a thick rubber
sole. No toeless or backless shoes, crocs or sandals are allowed. No
boots, moccasins or UGGS are allowed during the school day. No heels
above 1" allowed. All shoes must fit securely.
- Boys Socks - Solid white, black, or navy socks are required. Small logos are acceptable (no fluorescent colors). No-show and footie socks are not permitted.
- Girls Socks - Girls socks should be solid
white, black or navy knee socks or tights with skorts/skirts and jumpers (Girls
no athletic socks or colored socks). Solid black leggings may be worn under skorts or skirts in the winter
months. No-show and footie socks are
**Students may wear boots to school and change footwear throughout the winter months**
The footwear policy is the same for all days whether or not it is a "Dress-Down or Dress-Up Day"
Simple necklaces (i.e. thin chain) for small religious medals.
- Girls may wear simple post earrings (gold, silver, pearl, crosses or diamond).
- Boys are not allowed to wear any earrings or necklaces (except small religious metal).
- No wrist bands, silly bands, loom bands, etc. will be worn.
- No tattoos.
Perfumes and Colognes are not permitted due to allergies and/or breathing difficulties.
- Body spray (Axe and the like) may be used in moderation, keeping in
mind that they do cause problems for those with allergies and/or
- No spray deodorant is permitted at any time in school. If you choose
to use it, please spray on at home. Please use stick or roll-on if
needed during school hours.
ALL UNIFORM REGULATIONS AND GUIDELINES ARE SUBJECT TO THE DISCRETION
OF THE PRINCIPAL
The Principal reserves the right to make any changes
to the Uniform Policy.
The dress code is in place to teach students self-discipline
in association with personal hygiene and grooming and to encourage the students
to take pride in their personal appearance. Parents will be called to bring in
proper attire for their child should the cause arise or students may be asked
to wear spare items from our Uniform Exchange. Three non-compliance notices or
warnings for dress code violations will automatically generate an after-school
detention for that student.